During pregnancy, it’s very important to have a good diet which includes all the nutrients in good quantity. A good diet not just ensures proper growth of the baby but also gives strength to the mother. Here are some of the foods, which are rich in folic acid and are a must to have during pregnancy:
• Lentils are one of the best folate-containing foods that can be included in the diet during pregnancy. They are easily available in every store and contain many other nutrients like iron, fiber, etc. Even the cooking process takes very less time and they can be prepared in various different ways, according to the taste.
• Asparagus should also be included in the daily diet for fulfilling the requirements of folic acid in the body. Different recipes can be used for making delicious dishes; its 1-cup serving contains 79 mcg of folate which is good during pregnancy.
• Leafy green vegetables contain folic acid in a very good amount; even the concentrations of vitamins are very high. In leafy vegetables, broccoli tops the list after spinach, as its 1-cup serving contains 104 mcg. Even mustard greens, kale, collard are also liked for their taste and nutrient values like calcium, vitamin C and iron.
• Sunflower seeds contain 82 mcg of folic acid; one can take handful of them in the daily diet. They are best for munching during the snack time; they can even be taken in other forms like baked breads with them as toppings or the salads or soup which have them for crunchiness. They are also a good source of calcium and iron.
• Tomato juice is a must to have during pregnancy; it helps in fulfilling the folic acid requirements in the body. It is best to take iron pills with a glass of juice as it helps the body in absorbing the iron. It’s also very rich in Vitamin C, sodium as well as potassium.